A good start!!!

Monday, December 2, 2013

New York, New York!!!!

I am not a morning person. Never have been, never will be. Add a Monday morning after a lovely long weekend and you would have seen me in a zombified state shuffling around the house not making eye contact with anyone. Add the few extra pounds I’ve put on from Thanksgiving and my lack of running discipline for my Dutchman training and I was feeling seriously down in the dumps. 

There was a reminder alarm on my phone to register for The New York Marathon. Oh, RIGHT!! After my shower I plopped down and logged in. And just like that, I wasn’t only in the queue ... I was ACCEPTED into NYC! 11/2/14!!



And, for the first time ever, the world was introduced to Kathy the Morning Person!!! Woo hoo!!! Alas, only Elizabeth and Ruby Dog were present to witness such a monumental event. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted. 

So, first of all, all of you who are in the lottery - do NOT worry. That is still months away. I’ve been rejected three years in a row and this year was my guaranteed entry. However, this is the LAST year that they will accommodating this kind of entry. I barely squeaked in. Clearly, this was meant to be!!! Extra exciting that Marcia has also been accepted!!

I’ve needed something like this so very, VERY much. 2013 has not been one of my better years. I’ve had so many wonderful people pass away that I actually have to sit down and recount ... I’m honestly starting to forget, even getting used to it. That is so wrong. 

My grandmother, Ruth - “The Mama”, passed on 10 days ago. She was my only grandparent that I really ever knew. Mom’s parents passed away long before I came along and my grandfather was not exactly the fatherly type. 

The lovely Ruth McGavock

She was a wonderful grandmother. I spent many summers with her in Southern California as a kid - some of the best summers of my life. She helped build the foundation of my love for family, food, old movies, and theater. 

Just as I did, my kids loved their Mama

It’s been a long goodbye. Dementia has been cruel and it’s been a sad couple of years. While we all know that she had no quality of life and it was certainly time to go ... it stings. She was a real presence and her absence is eerily quiet. But, to make it to 93. Tell me that’s not huge. Hmm ... 93 = 15K. I feel a virtual race in the works.  

So I’m heading back to Cali this weekend for the funeral. And planning on running along the beach every chance I get to clear my mind. 

So, back to the present. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And onward to Christmas. I suppose I wasn’t meant to run The California International Marathon as it turned out to be the exact same time as Mama’s funeral. But love and WOOT to Jill and Katie who will be running it!

I’m still thoroughly enjoying my donkeys. I’ve started running!!! Evan is now volunteering at the rescue with me and is head over heels for them, too. He’s got a very special bond with an abused little guy named Boyd. Boyd has no tail due damage from being roped. He’s extremely shy but he and Evan are buddies. Does my heart good ... though I do wish we had some property to take him home with us. That will never happen, but at least we get to see him every week. And I named one of our new females Ruth ... because I can.

My first run with Bliss - going strong

Until a dog started barking at her and she decided it was best to proceed with caution. 

Evan obstacle training with Boyd
It's all about the buddy system

Onwards to a much better 2014. Better health for everyone and better running for me. So far here’s the plan ...

  • Lost Dutchman Marathon 2/16/14


Had no clue this was the logo until after I registered …. Arizona and a donkey?? Kismet!
  • Canyonlands Half Marathon 3/15/2014
  • Lots and lots of trail running and pack burro racing all summer - I’ve got 5 races in sight if I can pull them off! Georgetown, Idaho Springs, Leadville, Buena Vista, and (the grand daddy) Fairplay. 
  • New York Marathon 11/2/14

I’m already thinking about a NYC playlist ... but this is the song has been running through my mind ever since I got my acceptance notification … after all, even the losers get lucky sometime!




14 comments:

  1. I was so sorry to hear about your grandma. I only had one grandparent as well because the rest passed away either before I was born or shortly after. And even when you know their passing is an end to suffering or they haven't really been present for a long time, still the loss hurts. Hugs to you.

    I've loved your donkey posts and pictures, and it's so cool that Evan has fallen in love as well. What a neat thing for you guys to share.

    And congratulations on getting the race excitement started early!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kate.
      Evan is a mush when it comes to animals but I am constantly surprised how much this means to him. They love him there, another volunteer made him a Boyd Christmas ornament which almost made me cry. It is an extraordinary thing to see a twelve year old happily mucking a yard for hours knowing his reward is to hang out with a little tailless donkey.
      11 months and counting!!! WOO HOO!!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you--it's truly an unparalleled experience to run New York.

    You already know how I feel about the donkey named Ruth, and your grandma. I hope you get many good therapeutic beach runs in while you're in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited. Still a little stunned it went through so quick.
      I WILL kick myself out early for some runs by the water. The days will be busy and I really need some time to shut down badly.
      Once there was a donkey named Ruth … sounds like the start to a lovely little book. :)

      Delete
  3. So so sorry about your grandma. I only had one but she was a prize (in a good way). Miss her every day. Looks like 2014 is shaping up quiiiite nicely. Wasn't it So weird to log into the NYRR site and immediately see "You have GUARANTEED entry?" Kind of blew my mind after all this time. Patience is a virtue, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should all last so long, but it still stinks.
      I'm getting very excited about 2014 - 13 was the year of missteps and bad starts. My highlights were absolutely supporting my runners and not my own races. Time to shake that off.
      Right?? RIGHT?? I didn't expect to log in and BOOM I'm a guaranteed entry. That was a bit of a shock … but very welcome! Now, time to work on Jill since she qualified by hard work and not bad luck!!! :D

      Delete
  4. Awww sweet one, I am truly sorry for your loss; I know firsthand how hard it is when someone who means so much to you is taken. You had some fantastic times together - cherish those as you run on the beach (while I die in Sacramento) and remember all those happy smiles together.

    Woohoo, 2014 here you come! Good riddance to 2013, you have better and bigger things ahead for you. It's going to be a great year!!

    And I can read (above) you know!! :) I'd SO love to come and run with you two...maybe if I suddenly win the lottery or rob the nearest bank! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, 2014 can't get here soon enough!
      There's always a way, my friend, there's ALWAYS a way. Heh, heh, heh! Thelma and Louise in New York? Now that would be epic! ;)
      LOL, forgoing a marathon for a funeral … hmm, not sure where to go with that one. You will do fine … just keep Katie under control and remind her that this train is coming no matter what so hang on tight!! Can't wait to get the intel once the dust has settled.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandparents have been gone so long, but it's awesome to know she was able to love her great grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda. 15 great grandchildren. Pretty fantastic in my book.

      Delete
  6. love you and your spunky self! I know you'll bounce back and handle all challenges and comers in 2014!!! nyc! yeeHAW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, darling!!! 2014 is going to be SO much better!

      Delete
  7. Sorry for the loss. I am sure she will live forever in your thoughts.
    Good luck on your racing plan!

    ReplyDelete