A good start!!!

Monday, November 26, 2012

So Long Thanksgiving ... Hello Tucson


Ahh, welcome to the holidays!!! How I love it!!

Overall, things are going very well. I’ve adhered to “the plan.” My running is going much better. I feel good while I’m doing it and I am really glad that I took the pressure off. My plantars is coming along. I’ll admit I’m a total baby when it comes to any twinges in my foot. I’m quick to stop during a run and stretch it out. But then I’m able to get right back on the road and seem to be improving. 

Another benefit to backing off on my milage is that I really need to cut calories for a month or two. Apparently, when you continue to eat like you’re training for a marathon when you are not causes you to gain lots of weight. Who knew??? I’m already half way there ... despite Thanksgiving ... I’m very happy about that!

This Colorado fall is really mild. However, most of my running and biking has been indoors due to the shorter days and a jam packed schedule. I really need to get my butt up earlier and enjoy the weather while it lasts. I know this February I’ll be kicking myself for missing all these golden days outdoors. 

Thanksgiving was a wonderful day. I always play the hostess with the mostest - which I adore. I LOVE putting together a big meal. I love a house full of happy, hungry people. It just can’t be beat.

I started the morning with the Highlands Ranch Turkey Trot. My sister and her family came down early. My 14 year old nephew had his sights on a 25:00 run (which he did). My sister’s boyfriend is in the middle of training for a 50K (barefoot - awesome). He needed to take it slow so I instantly glommed on to him and we ran a very mellow, social 5K together. 

I did spot my friend and Detroit Marathon alum Kelly at the end of the race which was extra nice. Alas, I had to hustle home to put a bird in the oven so I hit the road. 

The rest of the day was just great. Everyone in my family had a really nice time. We even got my mom to play a little pinball. 

Yup, we now own a pinball machine. Heck yeah, it's a Dr. Who pinball machine!!!
Dinner was yummy. I ate myself sick - all homemade ... with love!!!

No canned cranberries in my house, thank you very much!

Next week is Tucson - where I grew up until I was 12!!! I know I’ll run a perfectly respectful race but no PR here. I’m just going to have a nice run and enjoy my friends. Cynthia will be in town visiting her sister and will be running the half with me. My friend Ansley has been training hard and has her sights set on a BQ. If she makes it I’m going to rent myself out as a BQ good luck charm. Any takers?

My folks decided to be in town for the race. Our hotel is right on a golf course and we have a huge suite with tons of space (including our own kitchen) to spread out. Hooray for off season resort rates! After the race we are going to hit an old Tiki Bar in town that has been around since before I was born. 

KON TIKI!!!! Bring on the Suffering Busters!!!
I can’t wait!!!

Best of luck to all of you running CIM this weekend!!! Grab that BQ Terzah!!!!

19 comments:

  1. I think we have way too much in common - same name...same foot ailment (I'd prefer to NOT have that in common with you though!), love to run long AND I lived in Tucson too! Sounds like you had a great turkey day. Hope you have a great trip to AZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes!!! Runner-chicks-named-Kathy-from-Tucson ROCK!!!
      As for the plantars - blech - I am so over it!!

      Delete
  2. Oh that cake looks divine! Or deadly...
    Have fun in Tucson!! Go get em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raina!!! I'm really excited to get down there!

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous of all the travelling you do! Have a great run next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! It helps to buy early - makes it almost affordable!

      Delete
  4. It was great to see you out there! Tell Eric hi. I miss following his training. I can't believe Tucson is next week!!! Have so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kelly! Eric is doing great! They moved to Boulder and he's doing really well with his training. He's running some 50K near the Pacific Coast Trail next month - crazy man!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christi! Very glad to see you posting again!

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and getting back in the running groove. and yeeHAW!!! Tucson bound. my plan is to blow myself up in the first few miles and then hang on for dear life the last 10...you'll probably see me crawling toward the finish line. those drinks at the tiki bar should revive me tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be doing the same! Training??? We don't need no stinking training!!!!
      Bring on the flaming Tiki drinks in funky glasses!!

      Delete
  7. Good luck!! Looking forward to hearing about Tucson :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff!! I'm really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  8. So glad your Thanksgiving was nice! Wow Tucson is almost here--time flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, right? I just can't keep up with the time!

      Delete
  9. I need you in Sacramento (BQ good luck charm)! Send me some vibes from afar!

    You are going to have a great time in Tuscon--kudos to your parents for upping the fun factor. At least I get you for The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving! My mom and I are the same way- too much food, it's a love language thing, I think.
    Can't wait to hear all about everyone's race at CIM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PF is such a pain figuratively and literally. Good luck with it. This is the first fall I haven't had it in awhile (and we're pretty much done fall). Knocking on wood here. I hope things keep improving for you.

    ReplyDelete